I was injured in a boating accident; where can I file my case?

If you were injured in a boating accident on one of the inland lakes in Michigan, then you will probably have to file your case in the Circuit Court for the County in which the accident occurred. If you accident occurred on any of the Great Lakes or the rivers connecting to the Great Lakes, then you may be able to file your case in Federal Court, based on Admiralty/Maritime jurisdiction. There are a number of potential benefits to filing a boatingaccident case inFederal Court, under Admiralty/Maritime jurisdictionbecause Federal Admiralty/Maritime law “preempts,” or supercedes State law. There are a number of common situations where Federal Admiralty/Maritime law is more favorable than State law so you should consult with an experienced attorney before deciding where to file your case.

Our Michigan personal injury attorneys are here to help. For a free case evaluation, call us at (800) 638-6722.

Fill out our online form