I was injured while working on a large boat or yacht; can I bring a case against the vessel owner?

If you were being paid by the owner and can be considered as a Maritime worker, seaman or member of the crew and the injury occurred while the vessel was on one of the Great Lakes or rivers connecting with the Great Lakes, then you may be able to bring a claim against the owner based on the Jones Act, as well as Admiralty & General Maritime Law. If you injury falls under the Jones Act or General Maritime Law, then you will not be entitled to Workers’ Disability Compensation benefits. In many cases, the compensation available to an injured Maritime worker is more favorable under the Jones Act and General Maritime Law, than under Workers’ Compensation benefits provided by State Law. You should always consult an experienced attorney to determine whether or not your injury is covered by the Jones Act or General Maritime Law.

Our Michigan personal injury attorneys are here to help. For a free case evaluation, call us at (800) 638-6722.

Fill out our online form